Nestlé has published its full 2013 report. “Nestlé in Society: Creating Shared Value and meeting our commitments” has been prepared according to GRI’s G3.1 Guidelines, at Application Level A+.
Nestlé’s efforts to meet a series of commitments, 35 pledges covering nutrition, water, rural development, sustainability and compliance.
Nestlé aims to fulfill all these commitments by 2020 or earlier. Based on feedback from stakeholders over the last 12 months, ten are new this year and six have been updated to reflect new Nestlé policy.
The report underlines Nestlé’s fundamental belief that, for a company to be successful over the long term and create value for shareholders, it must also create value for society.
“We believe that this 2013 report on Creating Shared Value at Nestlé represents a significant step forward in our drive to communicate transparently,” said Nestlé Chairman Peter Brabeck-Letmathe.
Nestlé Chief Executive Officer Paul Bulcke said, “This is a set of forward-looking commitments covering every part of our business, providing a clear sense of the strategic direction we are heading in and the standards to which we hold ourselves accountable”.
The Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) has confirmed that the full report is prepared according to the GRI G3.1 Guidelines, at Application Level A+, The “+” indicates that the report content has been independently assured by Bureau Veritas.
The GRI is the leading organisation in the field of non-financial reporting. It’s a non-profit organisation that promotes economic sustainability.
REPORT HIGHTLIGHTS IN BULLET POINTS
Key achievements in 2013
- 7,789 products have been renovated for nutrition or health considerations
- More than 167 billion servings of fortified products have been provided
- Packaging material has been reduced by 66,594 tonnes, saving CHF 158 million
- Overall water withdrawals have been reduced by 33% per tonne of product since 2005
- 300,000 farmers have been trained through capacity-building programmes
- An absolute reduction in direct GHG emissions of 7.4% has been achieved since 2005
New in the 2013 report
- 35 forward-looking commitments, including 10 new ones
- Nestlé’s W.A.T.E.R. water commitments added, giving them greater emphasis and making the company publically accountable for their attainment
- Other new commitments focus on people – including a promise to assess and address human rights impacts in its operations and supply chain, to eliminate child labour and to enhance gender balance
- Updated commitments reflect Nestlé’s renewed policies for the reduction of salt, sugars and saturated fats and the removal of trans fats originating from partially hydrogenated oils
- The report’s open nature demonstrates Nestlé’s desire to communicate transparently
Nestlé’s W.A.T.E.R commitments
- Work to achieve water efficiency across our operations
- Advocate for effective water policies and stewardship
- Treat the water we discharge effectively
- Engage with suppliers, especially those in agriculture
- Raise awareness of water access and conservation
- Ranked number one by the charity Oxfam in its 2013 Behind the Brands scorecard
- Ranked one of the top 3 global food and beverage manufacturers in the Access to Nutrition Index
- Lead its industry group in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index 2013
- Remains the only infant formula manufacturer included in FTSE’s responsible investment index
Nestlé, with headquarters in Vevey, Switzerland, was founded in 1866 by Henri Nestlé and is today the world’s leading nutrition, health and wellness company. Sales at the end of 2013 were CHF 92bn. We employ 333 214people and have 456 factories in 86 countries.
Nestlé believes that for a company to be successful in the long term and create value for its shareholders, it must also create value for society. At Nestlé this begins with the creation of superior long term value for shareholders by offering products and services that help people improve their nutrition, health and wellness, Creating Shared Value is the approach Nestlé takes to the business as a whole. www.nestle.com/csv